Partner and Passenger Rail Practice Leader, Transport
Michael has shaped multi-billion dollar rail projects in the UK and Canada and established passenger and freight rail and bus companies in the UK, Australia and Germany.
Michael has more than 35 years of experience in the development and operation of passenger rail, freight and urban transport systems. He conceives innovative solutions, prepares traffic forecasts, business plans and feasibility studies and has a detailed understanding of public-private partnerships. Michael speaks English, intermediate French and basic Mandarin and German. Consult Michael’s personal website to learn more.
Michael’s achievements include:
- Making the business case for the $22B electrification of Toronto’s 450 km commuter rail network and showing how Toronto’s Downtown Relief Line Subway could be expanded into the much longer Ontario Line (Michael continues to provide advice to Metrolinx on both projects).
- Advising public and private sector clients on ways to improve passenger and freight railways in more than 20 countries.
- Launching a profitable bus company in Germany.
- Founding GB Railways, Hull Trains and Great Southern Railway, which continue to operate intercity and long-distance passenger and freight rail services in the UK and Australia.
- Devising the route for London’s Jubilee Line extension and winning funding support from the UK. government.
- Playing a leading role in upgrading the automated London Docklands Light Rail system.
- Master’s, City and Regional Planning (Transportation) with distinguished achievement, CMHC Scholarship, Harvard Kennedy School
- Bachelor’s, Architecture, University of Toronto
3 fun facts:
- Has two children who both work as consultants, including one in aviation
- Has run four marathons in London, Boston, Montréal and Vancouver
- Wrote The Railway Metropolis: How Planners, Politicians and Developers Shaped Modern London published by ICE Publishing in 2016
P: +1 416 557 5230