Strategic rail advice to Transport for Wales
CPCS provided the Welsh ministry with the insights needed to support negotiations with UK government and rail companies in relation to its Core Valley Lines passenger rail network.
Sector: Transport, passenger rail
Client: Transport for Wales
Client type: Government
Location: United Kingdom
Project type: Strategy and policy
Advisory services: Financial modeling and analysis, cost forecasting, legal and regulatory
Assignment: Among the services provided, CPCS conducted cost and risk assessments, and in-depth analysis of funding requirements by rail asset class.
As part of our wider role as Transport Operations Advisors to Transport for Wales (TfW), CPCS was enlisted to support funding negotiations with the UK government related to operational, maintenance and renewals matters for the Core Valley Lines rail network.
Other advisory services CPCS is providing as Transport Operations Advisor:
- Asset management support for TfW’s role as infrastructure owner of the rail network
- Technical advice on bus interchange development
- Pedestrian and vehicle flow modelling and customer information provision
- Business case development for new services
- Timetable options and scenario planning
- Development of performance regimes and reporting
- Car parking commercialization strategy
- Fares regulation
- Contractual incentive mechanisms
Outcome: Following the assessment work CPCS performed, TfW submitted a report to the regulator, the Office of Rail and Road, for their review in preparation for funding discussions between the UK and Welsh Governments.